Many times at IPexpert we are asked to provide a suggested reading list to prepare for the CCIE Voice Lab Exam. Hopefully this blog will assist in establishing a start in the right direction. Much of this reading list has been referenced in the CCIE Voice Techtorial, given by Ben Ng (Cisco CCIE Voice Program Manager) at the Cisco Live Networkers Conference. More entries have been added based on the given fact it is referenced often by the IPexpert instructors who have developed the study material and coursework used by many CCIE Voice candidates and also based on feedback received from candidates.
- Cisco IP Telephony: Planning, Design, Implementation, Operation and Optimization, ISBN: 1-58705-157-5
- Cisco QOS Exam Certification Guide, Second Edition, ISBN: 1-58720-124-0
- Cisco CallManager Best Practices: A Cisco AVVID Solution, ISBN: 1-58705-139-7
- Cisco CallManager Fundamentals: A Cisco AVVID Solution, Second Edition, ISBN: 1-58705-192-3
- Configuring CallManager and Unity: A Step-by-Step Guide, ISBN: 1-58705-196-6
- Troubleshooting Cisco IP Telephony, ISBN: 1-58705-075-7 – New Release Coming Soon
- Cisco Unity Fundamentals, ISBN: 1-58705-098-6
- Cisco Unity Deployment and Solutions Guide, ISBN: 1-58705-118
- Cisco Voice Gateways and Gatekeepers, ISBN: 1-58705-407-8
- Deploying Cisco Unified Presence, by HouTong Lou
- Cisco Unified Presence Fundamentals, ISBN: 1-58714-056-X
- SIP Trunking, ISBN: 1-58705-944-4
In addition to the above publications, it is also recommended to utilize the following resources during your preparation. These are great tools to reference over and over again for answers to questions that will undoubtedly be generated while going through practice labs when getting ready for the big day.
- Cisco Unified Communications Manager Features and Services Guide, Release 7.0(1)
- Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express System Administrator Guide, Release 7.0(1)
- Cisco Unified Communications Solution Reference Network Design (SRND)
- Configuring QOS Chapter in the Catalyst 3750 Switch Software Configuration Guide
Each of the above four resources can be accessed and found within online Cisco’s website Product/Technology Support website. This website will be available to you when sitting the actual lab. It is recommended to make this your home page while preparing for the CCIE Voice and give up using “Google” to find all your answers. By the time you take your exam, you should be very comfortable navigating this website. Below is the link for you to utilize and get extremely familiar with finding where key information that will assist you on lab day is located.
Please comment and add to this list if you have run across any publications in your quest to CCIE Voice that have been valuable.
Amy Ryan – CCIE #24677 (Voice)
Technical Instructor – IPexpert, Inc.